Negotiation is inevitable during life. Effective negotiation can help lead to more favourable outcomes, build trust and foster relationships, making it an important skill to possess.
This course is designed for healthcare professionals at all stages of their career to introduce the key principles of negotiation, the attributes of a good negotiator and how to lead a successful negotiation.
About the Authors
Dr. Sunny Ali
Dr. Ali is a recently qualified doctor, graduating from Kings’ College London. He created the negotiation skills course through his work as a scholar for The Healthcare Leadership Academy (HLA).
George is an Imperial Public Health Registrar. He was one of the top scoring applicants for the AFP across the country, and has since presented national courses on 'Success in Medical School', 'Preparing for the AFP', and 'Preparing for the PSA.' He is the Senior Director of the Healthcare Leadership Academy.
Anita is a penultimate year medical student at Imperial College London, and currently works as a research fellow at Medics.Academy.
Danielle is a final year medical student at the University of Southampton. Alongside her studies, Danielle works as a research fellow at Medics.Academy.
Founder and Director of The Healthcare Leadership Academy and Medics.Academy
Johann is currently the Founder and CEO of Medics.Academy, the Founder and Managing Director of The HLA and the former Lead for Education and Training at Healthcare UK at the Department for International Trade.
Johann is best known as the former chair of the Junior Doctors Committee of the British Medical Association. However, he has held a variety of roles over 18 years.
About The HLA
- Nurturing Leadership – working with healthcare students and young professionals to develop our healthcare leaders of the future
- Fostering Frontline Innovation – engaging, developing and guiding clinicians to deliver innovative solutions
- Empowering and Valuing the Next Generation of Clinical Leaders – supporting our clinicians to use their talent effectively
- The Healthcare Leadership Academy values accessibility and equity and believes all healthcare professionals should have the means to learn about and engage in leadership activities; at any level and at any time.
- The Healthcare Leadership Academy believes inclusivity is key to leadership. Leadership should not be the arena of a chosen few but of all those with innovative visions, ideas and solutions.
The Healthcare Leadership Academy formed in response to demand from young clinicians and medical students to learn about leadership.
Founded by Dr Johann Malawana (Managing Director), and a team of like-minded professionals (Our Faculty and Assistant Course Directors) the Healthcare Leadership Academy launched on 20th December 2016.
HLA houses an exciting faculty from across the health sector and beyond. Their shared aim is to inspire the next generation of healthcare professionals and develop their understanding of leadership. Too often in healthcare, leadership is confused with management. Through a combination of mentoring, Socratic discussion, and philosophical exploration, HLA aims to inspire our scholars to change the world of healthcare, one small step at a time.
At a time when the world seems an ever more worrying place, it is important that the next generation of healthcare professionals truly understand how to motivate the people they work with in order to best look after the populations they serve.