About the Event :
We are delighted to present our HLA Community Weekend. This is an exciting opportunity for active members of the community to come together for an in person training event and benefit from a free, in person training weekend, in the lovely Devon countryside, that will create deeper connections with other members of our community. The weekend will be run by Johann personally and will be intimate. There are going to be limited numbers of places available so please book as soon as you can.
3 workshops during the weekend of 3 hours each on:
- Leader as a Philosopher
- Leader as a communicator
- Leader as a Negotiator
Certificates will be issued for 9 hours of CPD
Cost of the weekend:
- HLA subscribers i.e. ILM and associate members, and MA Fellows, HLA Scholars and CPHL students - Free
All participants need to organise their own accommodation and transport. A list of venues will be made available after booking from £70 per night but there are lots of holiday rentals around. Participants will need walking shoes, wellington boots and other outdoor clothing as well as ideally swimming gear if they would like to take part in all activities. All activities apart from the workshops are optional.
Anyone traveling from overseas or particularly far maybe able to get some rugged camping type accommodation or couch surf-type staying with Johann. We will also encourage participants to plan with each other and share accommodation options.
The weekend will be 30 minutes from Exeter Airport and 30-35 minutes from mainline train stations from London Paddington.
Date and time:
Arrival - Friday 21st October 2022 by 7.30pm
Departure - Sunday 23rd October 2022 by 4.30pm
How to register:
Click the 'learn more' button on top to sign-in/ sign up to the Medics.Academy portal as it facilitates the logistics of the event registrations and go to 'Register here' section found on the left side panel and fill in the registration form to submit and confirm your participation.
- Nurturing Leadership: working with healthcare students and young professionals to develop our leaders of the future
- Fostering Frontline Innovation: Engaging, developing and guiding clinicians to deliver innovative solutions.
- Empowering and Valuing the Next Generation of Clinical Leaders: Supporting our clinicians to use their talent effectively.
- Accessibility: The HLA value accessibility and equity and believe all healthcare professionals should have the means to learn about and engage in leadership activities; at any level and at any time.
- Inclusivity: The HLA believes inclusivity is key to leadership. Leadership should not be the arena of a chosen few but of all those with innovative visions, ideas and solutions.
The Healthcare Leadership Academy formed in response to demand from young clinicians and medical students to learn about leadership.
Founded by Dr Johann Malawana (Course Director), former leader of the Junior Doctor Dispute, and a team of like-minded professionals (Our Faculty and Assistant Course Directors) the Healthcare Leadership Academy launched on 20th December 2016.
HLA houses an exciting faculty from across the health sector and beyond. Their shared aim is to inspire the next generation of healthcare professionals and develop their understanding of leadership. Too often in healthcare, leadership is confused with management. Through a combination of mentoring, Socratic discussion, and philosophical exploration, HLA aims to inspire our scholars to change the world of healthcare, one small step at a time.
At a time when the world seems an ever more worrying place, it is important that the next generation of healthcare professionals truly understand how to motivate the people they work with in order to best look after the populations they serve.